Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Critters.

We've got a full house o' critters again. Ed, the miniature pinscher and Hercules the cat. And, or course Farnsy and Flea. Ed and Hercules live together and have been here since Monday while their mama takes a vaykay. We had Ed in the summer - but not the cat. Hercules has been hiding most of the days and comin' out at night to test-swing the curtains and explore stuff. In the middle of the night, he'll sidle up to my side of the bed and make that questioning cat sound, "brrrrpp?"

We're seeing more of him though as he gets used to the place. He's a really super sweet, affectionate guy too but whenever Farnsworth sees him, he barks him back into hiding. It's not that he's a cat. My dog ain't no cat-ist. It's that he moves fast. In a ratdawg peanut brain, fast = chase-worthy. If Herk would just saunter about or even give Arty a smack, it would put him in his place. But - there ain't no reasoning with critters. I tried to draw Herk a diagram explaining this, but he asked if I would crumple it into a ball so he could play with it instead.

The sweet/sad part about it is - Hercules will get scared and go hide - say, under the bed. But when you stick your arm under to reach him - he doesn't growl or get snippy or slappy. He head butts you for pets! What a sweetheart. So, I've been makin' sure he gets some lovin'. He's easy to bribe out of hiding spots for rubdowns.

As I type this, Ed is scritching at my chair to be picked up. Hang on.........



On the lap, now.

Ed is a little on the...ahem, curvy side. She wears it well, however. But it does make for strange bedfellows. She sleeps in the bed, see? Which I like because she's bulbous enough to be non-squishable. And she's like spooning a hot water bottle, which is nice in the dead of winter. But sometimes Ed likes to sleep right between our heads with her head propped on my pillow. Which means her snout is inches from my face. That, I can handle. It's the snoring... she snores like it's goin' outta style. Wheezing, snorting, laboured inhaling...it's like sleeping with Lou Perlman.

So, my night times go like this: Min pin with sleep apnea in my face. Cat wandering around full o' beans (cuz he slept all day) saying, "brrrpp?" at my bedside. Arty all, "Grrrrr" from his crate cuz he sees the cat. Flea all - silent but awake planning how she will kill us all for waking her up - and Corn all "Sigh, I gotta pee" and me all "T minus 3 hours til work"....

But you know what? It's fun. :)

Oh - and I had to bring Farnsy the vet today because he's been sleeping, snotting, sneezing and hacking for a few days. He just ain't himself. Turns out he caught a cold at boarding. Poor bugger. I mean really, he's such a royal dick. But when he's not himself, I can't help but feel for the guy. He was curled up all day not wanting anything to do with anyone, hacking and boogers sliming outta his little nose. Even today, Hercules walked right past him and Arty didn't grumble a syllable of a threat from his sickbed. How much is he workin' the patheticness here?



Anyway, the vet sent us home with some antibiotics and he'll be right as rain in a couple days. No worries at all.

Oh my god. I was wondering how to end this post when Ed ended it for me. She totally just farted on my lap.

That's a wrap, guys.

12 comments:

Sean Newbury said...

Sleep Apnea, Barking and Farts... Gee! I really don't know why Didz won't let me have a dog. LOL

I'm impressed that you put the Wii down long enough to type this all out! (Run out of batteries?)

Maria said...

You should get her back by FARTING on her!

That would at least make one of you feel better.

Sean Newbury said...

"That would at least make one of you feel better."

...and likely cause the other to die of asphyxiation...

Anonymous said...

"Wheezing, snorting, laboured inhaling..."

I'm confused. Is that Ed or Corn?

4D said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Do they have Nyquil for Puppies? Hope he feels better soon!

Enjoy the crittery visit!

Keep smilin!

Anonymous said...

couldn't help laughing at Maria's and misster Kitty's comments! So Nat is a dog and catsitter! Mica (my pup) has been sneezing too - I hope she doesn't have a cold. With all those vet visits you make - do you have pet insurance?

Ed looks like a cutie!

Anonymous said...

Okay, so Coffee is a cat, but she sneezes quite a bit, too, although less since I switched from the clay litter to the recycled newspaper stuff.
I'm starting to think that her sneezes are related to my lack of housekeeping prowess, and it's the dust from under the bed, couch, table, etc.

Maria said...

NGB: you don't dust UNDER THE BED, COUCH, TABLES ETC...? I'm telling Martha on YOU!

Anonymous said...

Martha can bite me! I do dust in all those places, just not often enough, so it seems.

Hey, N@: How's about a pic of Herc? If he's anything like Coffee, every time you get a shot lined up, he heads towards you before you can take the pic.

Sean Newbury said...

Dust mops are fluffy and generally are located on the floor...

Cats are fluffy fluffy and generally are located on the floor...

I'm just saying...

N@ Lauzon said...

T-ball - no pet insurance. I think for some reason, you need to get it when your pet is young? Anyhoo - yeah. I'm there too much. They know us by name. And medical condition. Like me? I can't stop scooting my ass on the floor.

NGB...will try to take a pic. He's been under the bed all day. But just came out to say hello. He jumped on the bed and Flea tried to scare him off by running at him. He didn't move. Flea can't scare nuthin' but beetles. And even then...

All to say...Hercules is an enigma, but I will try. :)