Tuesday, March 20, 2007

GIMME YOUR MONEY

As I'm learning - is par for the course for home ownership, we received another bill in the mail the other day. It was from the City of Montreal, for $53 and there was a $5 late fee on it. I was confused, since we're all paid up on all our bills. And actually reading the paper I got was fruitless because all our damn bills are in French.

So, I called the phone number for some answers. The girl told me it was a leftover balance from the Welcome Tax from the previous owners. It should have been taken care of by the notary. But it's OUR responsibility if it isn't paid because we are the new owners.

But here's the kicker - and some fine print on the bill I was unable to read: if it's not paid in 10 days. The city begins the process of SELLING OUR HOME. Selling our home because of 58 bucks! THAT WE DON'T EVEN OWE!!!!

Anyway, I called the notary. And he told me to fax the junk over and he'd pay it.

So, that's that. But...WTF!? Any opportunity to squeeze every last friggin' dime outta us. Bastards.

3 comments:

Maria said...

HEY Nat speaking from personal experience, have the notary fax you, e-mail you or send by peacock a copy showing that the bill was indeed paid. Trust me...

Sean Newbury said...

I second that suggestion by Maria.

And just so you know, you're not alone. I have a friend that received a similar notice for some 30 odd dollars...

Welcome to home ownership! Ain't it grand!

Me and the man moved into our Condo (back on Dec 15th) and we quickly learned... you have got to get EVERYTHING in writing. EVERYTHING should be documented... even if a city official farts on your property, document it! It's sometimes a hassle, but protect your ASSets...

It's worth it in the END...

Johnny said...

Hi Nat, I was under the impression that even though your first language was English, you spoke French also (because of your last name probably).